Epoch of Reionization
Epoch of Reionization Working Group Introduction
When did the first generations of galaxies form? What were their properties? How did they interact with each other? What is the structure of the intergalactic medium during the first billion years? What is the thermal and ionization history of the baryons?
The footprint of these processes is imprinted in the Hydrogen gas the major constituent of the intergalactic medium) and can be probed by observations of its hyperfine spectral line transition (occurring at the rest frequency of 21-cm). We plan to use the SKA to carry out the deepest observations of the diffuse neutral Hydrogen gas to trace the evolution of cosmic structure in the 6 < z < 30 range, unveiling the epoch when the very first luminous structure were born and how their growth ionized the intergalactic medium.
Working Group Membership
Members of the the Epoch of Reionization Working group can be found here
We actively encourage interested researchers to participate in the working group.
Please contact the co-chairs if you are interested in joining the group, with a brief description of your area of research.
The current co-chairs are:
- Abhirup Datta (IIT Indore, India), email@example.com
- Andrei Mesinger (Scuola Normale Superiore, Italy), firstname.lastname@example.org
Guidelines on who can join the group can be found here
The SKAO Project Scientist liaison is Anna Bonaldi.
Related 2015 “Advancing Astrophysics with the Square Kilometre Array” Chapters
- See appropriate section here
Related 2004 “Science with the Square Kilometre Array” Chapters
- “Probing the dark ages with the Square Kilometre Array” Carilli et al.
- “Observations of HI 21-cm absorption by the neutral IGM during the epoch of re-ionization with the Square Kilometre Array” Carilli et al.
- Gianni Bernardi (2017-2019)
- Garrelt Mellema (2017-2019)
- Jonathan Pritchard (2015-2017)
- Leon Koopmans (2013-2015)